Desktop Not In Centre Of Screen?

Whaty 16:22 05 Nov 07

I've just put together a base unit for my nephew using a ATI 2600 graphics card. The PC is connected to a 19" widescreen Samsung TV via a VGA cable with an adapter to DVI at the graphics card end (the card has 2 x DVI connectors).

The TV supports a wide range of resolutions and displays a very clear picture. However, by default the desktop is so far over to the right on the screen that you cannot see any of the taskbar items and there is a black band approx 4cm wide down the left. Using a combination of both the TV settings and those for the graphics card I can JUST get the desktop onto the screen but there is still a black band approx 0.5cm wide down the left hand side?

Any ideas what is causing this and more importantly, what I can do to fix it?

Thanks,
Terry

skidzy 16:35 05 Nov 07

have you tried changing the screen resolution ?
Also can you drag the screen across by using your cursor.

RobCharles1981 16:37 05 Nov 07

On your Monitor is there a button called "Auto Select"? If so you can just press this button and your desktop should return to the middle.

The F1 Help Key 16:55 05 Nov 07

try to switch on ur screen before....then u switch on your PC...

Technotiger 16:58 05 Nov 07

NB - Guys it is not a Monitor - it is a 19" widescreen Samsung TV ...

Technotiger 17:06 05 Nov 07

Nice card, with plenty of scope to sort out the Resolution to fit your TV, though you will probably need to experiment a bit to get the best result. As skidzy says, try changing Resolution.

harry12 17:39 05 Nov 07

If you bring up your monitor menu, there should be the setting to move desktop, right/left/up/down.

woodchip 18:06 05 Nov 07

Waste of time connecting with VGA cable

woodchip 18:07 05 Nov 07

I am connected to a 32" LCD HDMI Via DVI on Computer to HDMI on TV

Whaty 14:58 06 Nov 07

Thanks for all the replies. Have pretty much tried everything you've suggested.... it's very frustrating!

Woodchip, tried a slight variation to what you've suggested but just couldn't get a good picture. I used a HDMI cable from the TV to a DVI adapter in the card. Regardless of any resolution I tried, the picture always had a very slight blur? And, with this set up I couldn't get the 'PC' menu up on the TV.

Have to say, the picture is very clear on the VGA cable with the resolution set to 1440x900 60Hz.... just not in the centre!!

Thanks again,
Terry

johnnyrocker 15:08 06 Nov 07

is the tv on centre when used as a tv?

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…