Desktop Netgear connection problem

stu1162 13:07 09 Jul 06

I have installed a Netgear wireless pc card in my desktop upstairs but I am having problems connecting to the internet.
I already have a connection through a pc card on my laptop which is working perfectly.

On my desktop I get the Netgear smart wizard wireless assistant box showing the necessary details (SSID etc) and it clearly states the signal strength, which is ok, and my network name, but instead of stating 'internet connected' as per my laptop it states 'connected to router'.
When I come to connect via explorer I keep getting the page cannot be displayed.
Does anyone have any ideas as to where I am going wrong?

mgmcc 14:03 09 Jul 06

If your Desktop PC is running XP SP2, it would probably be very much easier to use Windows' own Wireless Networking software, rather than the Netgear software.

stu1162 14:15 09 Jul 06

Thanks mgmcc, Yes I am using XP SP2, do I just uninstall the Netgear software and look for a network connection?

ade.h 15:02 09 Jul 06

No, you need to do more than that.

1) Clear off the software via "Change or Remove Programs".
2) Uninstall the device from Device Manager.
3) Reboot. Run a cleanup with your preferred cleanup utility.
4) Insert your driver CD, but cancel it if it starts to run. DO NOT let it run.
5) Insert the PC Card or USB adapter.
6) Wait for the "New Hardware Found" wizard to begin and point it to the CD when prompted to search for a driver. Alternatively, download the latest driver from the manufacturer's support site and save it in a convenient location.

mgmcc 15:09 09 Jul 06

If you enable the Wireless Zero Configuration service, that should let you use Windows' software instead. Go to "Start > Run", type SERVICES.MSC and click OK. In the right pane, scroll down to Wireless Zero Configuration and double click it to open its Properties box. Set its "Startup Type" to Automatic and ensure that it is Started - if not, click the Start button. Click OK and then close the Services Window.

If you now go into the Network Connections folder, right click the Wireless Network connection and select View Available Wireless Networks, you should be able to use Windows' software to "Connect" to your network.

You may find that after rebooting, the Netgear software takes over again. If so, you may be able to uninstall it and then install only the drivers for the Wireless Adapter.

mgmcc 15:11 09 Jul 06

I see that ade.h has told you how to install the Wireless Adapter's drivers only.

stu1162 19:53 10 Jul 06

Thanks guys for the replies,unfortunatly I cannot get the internet to work, it still displays 'cannot find server'. The frustrating thing is the signal is ok but it states as what I said before 'connected to router'.
Makes me wonder if it is the router and its settings.
Any more suggestions, I have a few strands of hair left!

ade.h 20:45 10 Jul 06

Did your client firewall request that a rule be created when you attempted to establish a connection? If it did not, have you checked through its network section to see whether an automatic rule was created and whether it was correct? (See the thread on Printer Sharing by Ray5776 for an example).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009