Desktop margin in XP

Flaco 10:49 30 Jun 03

Don't know how I did it or what happened, but I've ended up with a left hand side margin (7cm wide) on my desktop. In the margin it has drop down menus for Folder Tasks, Other Places and Details. Some might find this useful but it's annoying me. Can anyone tell me how to get back to normal/full desktop view?

Thanks.

sil_ver 11:10 30 Jun 03

You seem to have opened a toolbar, try right clicking in it and click on 'close toolbar'

Flaco 11:19 30 Jun 03

Nope, it's not a toolbar. Can't be right-clicked on either.

graham√ 11:32 30 Jun 03

Right-click on the task bar at the side of the Start button, you will find the toolbar options there.

sil_ver 11:38 30 Jun 03

If you right click on the desktop have you got anything ticked on the active desktop dropdown

Flaco 11:50 30 Jun 03

Not sure what you mean by the 'active desktop dropdown'. Right clicking on the desktop just gives me 'Arrange Icons By' and 'New' sub-menus. Obviously I have tried fooling around in 'Properties', but to no avail.

flecc 12:51 30 Jun 03

Try going to the Tools menu, Folder Options, General Tab, and change from "Show Common Tasks" to "Use Windows Classic Folders".

Is that what you mean?

Flaco 13:03 30 Jun 03

Flecc, as I'm running XP Home, I've gone to Control Panel and tried opening 'Folder Options': it will not open! Geting worried now.

Flaco 13:05 30 Jun 03

Same thing with 'Taskbar and Start Menu' in Control Panel screen!

VoG II 13:12 30 Jun 03

Have you tried System Restore to a time before this happened?

Flaco 13:30 30 Jun 03

This 'margin' thing happened last year but I've only just decided that I want my normal desktop back. Either way, I've used Sys Res quite a few times (lovely feature) and it never had any effect on it. Similarly, no effect either on the Control Panel anomalies.

This is getting a bit freaky. Just last week I was reading a copy of PC Format and there's an article in there about the Son of XP (planned successor to XP codenamed Longhorn). One of the [planned] new features they highlighted, together with screen shots, is a sidebar with links to frequently used apps and docs. 'That's funny, I've already got one of those' I thought to myself. Slightly different layout and inclusions, but essentially the same.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…