Desktop Locking

Gerard 17:31 25 Mar 03

I have an HP Computer, and this afternoon, when I try and load I get to the desktop, and thr screen just locks. I wonder if any one has had this problem, and if so could you please help me in solving this problem.

reload 00:05 26 Mar 03

i had a similar problem on my pc kept locking on certain programes loutus + explorer cost me ££s
tried every thing last resort new harddrive prob solved took hd appart one of the disks was damaged
try borrowing a hd and give it a go nothing to loose good luck

powerless 02:04 26 Mar 03

What operating system are using?

Any new hardware, software loaded?

98...Go to > Start > Control Panel > System > Device Manager > Any Exclamation marks Etc?

XP...Go to > Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > Any Exclamation marks Etc?

Start > Run > Copy and paste:

Click "OK"...

Then click "Startup"...

Remove the ticks from everything depending upon what operating system...

If your using win98/SE leave "systray" ticked.

XP...remove all ticks.

If your using Antivirus and firewall then keep them ticked if you wish...look at the second column to determine what program it is related to.

Now restart...

If it does not freeze then pop the ticks back in one at a time and restart after one tick has been added, then you'll find out what program is causing the freeze. click here

Windows 2000 does not have MSCONFIG.

Windows 2000 and XP - Go to Start > Run > Copy and paste:

Click "ok"

Now look at the Application and System logs for errors and application hangs. Click the log within the link and you should a description of the problem and a possible fix.

Also try

98...Go to Start > Run > Copy and Paste:

Click "ok" and then click "Start"

XP...Go to Start > Run > Copy and paste:

Click "ok" and have your XP disc already in the drive.

Also run Disc Defragmenter and Scandisk...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…