desktop to laptop - can I install old software?

markdavid 15:39 11 Nov 07

This really follows on from my last thread:
I'm going to dispose of my desktop PC. So far I have copied my Outlook Express and Word documents to CD-Rs. I also have a CD of Office 2000 Premium.
I'm likely to be buying an Acer 5720 Travelmate with 1 GB of memory and 160 GB H.D. Of course they will try to sell me some version of Office as well as security, etc.

My question is what new software do I really need?

I'll be using the computer for web surfing, e-mails and documents.

And will I be able to install the CDs I have (see above) onto the laptop?

Karakorum 15:57 11 Nov 07

1. Firewall
2. Antimalware
3. Antivirus.

Don't forget to wipe your old hard drive if you're planning to sell it or pass it on to someone else. Just deleting or even formatting isn't enough.

If you want to see what files you THOUGHT you had deleted forever download the free "Recuva" click here file recovery utility and do a scan of a drive.

Karakorum 16:03 11 Nov 07

p.s. Don't forget your Favorites/Bookmarks

Karakorum 16:11 11 Nov 07

Forgot to say - yes, you'll be able to copy your files and install Office 2000 (assuming you're not moving to Vista - if so, I don't know).

Have you thought of using a USB stick/pen drive to move your files onto for moving? It's a lot quicker than writing CD's though CD's are probably safer for long term saving.

Karakorum 16:15 11 Nov 07

On second thought, ask someone else for confirmation on Office 2000. I've got Office 2003 on XP Pro and th's fine.

Pine Man 18:31 11 Nov 07

Don't worry he already has the answer to this on one of his other two threads!click here

Karakorum 18:34 11 Nov 07

Other TWO threads - blimey!

markdavid 09:36 12 Nov 07

Thanks guys.
Yes I put up a question in the tech forum as well since it was suggested that I ask someone else. But the help I have had from everyone on PC Advisor has been fantastic and much appreciated.
Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…