Desktop keeps Crashing - Maybe Overheating??

Mongral 11:32 09 Aug 04

I've got a fairly old Desktop with an AMD 1.4 Processor. It crashes quite a lot at the moment, eveh when i'm not even running anything, and I think it might have something to do with the hot humid weather. I used to get the same problem last summer when it was very hot.
The machine simply freezes and gives out a loud constant beeping sound, leaving me the only option of turning it off.
Has anyone ever come across a similar problem, and have any idea how to fix it?
If this problem is due to the heat, what can I do about it?
Thanks a lot.

johnsims 11:39 09 Aug 04

First step would be to open up the machine and give it a good spring clean, making sure you clean out the dust and fluff from all the fans and fan housings. (especially PSU) Give the entire machine a good blow out with a can of compressed air to get rid of dust, fluff and spider webs. Check the location of your disk drive(s) and ensure you have enough space around it/them to enable adequate air flow. Replacing flat drive cables with round ones can also help considerably in ensuring decent air flow from case fans.

Best situation regarding case fans is to have two that are opposite each other, one extracting the hot air, one pulling cooler air in

Chegs ® 11:56 09 Aug 04

Simple way to find out if its heat related is to remove a side from the case and place a room fan blowing into the case.If the PC behaves its heat in something.I have just rearranged the cooling in my PC,as it has been a tad unstable recently.I have gained around 10°C drop in system temps with the rearrangement.

click here

Mongral 12:02 09 Aug 04

Thanks for you both coming back on the above subject. I will try using my deskfan with an open box to see if that improves matters.
If it does, how easy is it to install news fans on a desktop?

johnsims 12:12 09 Aug 04

Pretty simple, there should be a couple of sets of predrilled holes to take the fan screws, your mobo may also have spare fan headers, you'll need to look at the manual to locate them. If there aren't any, you will need to get adapters for the main PSU connectors to step down to a fan connector. Make sure you get the correct size fan for the pre-drilled case fitting. Also, the screws for case fans are much bigger than any others in the PC so make sure your new fans come with them.

Chegs ® 12:30 09 Aug 04

I reused a few old PSU fans,often the case has a "grille" for additional fans,if you have its a simple matter to attach fans,the difficult bit is getting them connected to the poer.My motherboard has several fan headers on it,but I am often discovering that each mobo seems to have its own type of connecter,so I usually attach my fans to a spare hdd/cd-rom connecter.As the spares have four wires it can be a tad hit&miss to get the fan wired to the 12V(not the 5V)and the correct polarity,but practise makes perfect. :-)

flying grouse 12:58 09 Aug 04

better to connect to the power supply molex connector than to the motherboard as this can take up a lot of the resources of the boards power capabilities............

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…