desktop items dont show yp plz help!!!!!!!!

jon_neo 19:47 09 Jul 03

hi when eva i turn on my computer it works fine it loads up as normal unill it gets to the desktop the backgruond comes up BUT no icons i cant pick anything or do anything i think it could be a virus but maybe u know wat is wrong maybe it is a common prob plz help

ROBERT.H thx

spikeychris 19:51 09 Jul 03

Right click the desktop and under 'arrange icons by' click 'show icons'

Chris

wee eddie 20:04 09 Jul 03

Click on My Computer, via the Start button

Right Click, Explore.

That will show what is on you Desktop

Gaz 25 21:56 09 Jul 03

XP? then right click > Properties > then Desktop Tab > Customize desktop and tick the boxes for icons.

Virus? click here may provide some links to sites that may help, run an online scan.

TimCDC 22:25 09 Jul 03

I've had similar things happen on my system (e.g. recycle bin disappears; can't access help center). If you're running Windows XP, and find that none of the other suggestions work, you might want to try rolling back to a previous system restore point, from a time when your desktop icons were showing. I've now taken to setting a restore point virtually every time I log on - an insurance policy!

TimCDC 22:25 09 Jul 03

I've had similar things happen on my system (e.g. recycle bin disappears; can't access help center). If you're running Windows XP, and find that none of the other suggestions work, you might want to try rolling back to a previous system restore point, from a time when your desktop icons were showing. I've now taken to setting a restore point virtually every time I log on - an insurance policy!

TimCDC 22:26 09 Jul 03

sorry for posting twice!

jon_neo 10:47 10 Jul 03

There is no start menu to click on and I can't right click. When I press Ctrl + Alt + Delete it shows that nothing is running. I am running my PC on Windows 98 First Edition.
If i need to re-install Windows is there a way that I can do that without losing all my files?

Megatyte 12:00 10 Jul 03

Run Windows 98 setup and it should re-install leaving your files intact.

AH

sil_ver 12:24 10 Jul 03

You haven't by any chance got 'Active Desktop/customise' ticked?

wee eddie 14:59 10 Jul 03

Have you tried opening in 'Safe Mode'

Method.

Press the 'On' switch.

Immeadiatly start pressing the 'F8' button on the top.

Use your 'left' 'right' 'up' and 'down' buttons to navigate if the mouse won't work.

the buttons move the Entry point which highlights whatever it is on.

Click the 'Enter' button to open whatever you wish.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac