Desktop Index

User-178362 14:39 18 Feb 06

I have a window on my desktop saying"Windows Desktop Search has detected a problem with your desktop Index and cannot continue. Please reinstall MSN Search Tool bar here: htt://toolbar.msn.co.uk. Does this mean I just have to go on the net and type the htt message in? Sorry to be a pest, I'm just afraid of making a mistake.

VoG II 14:42 18 Feb 06

Yes, just go to click here

User-178362 14:53 18 Feb 06

I clicked on run. It asked me do I want to run or save so I thought run first then save. It came back with the message saying a newer version is already installed on my PC. What do I do next?

ade.h 17:38 18 Feb 06

Uninstall the existing version, then install your download. Which you should have saved, by the way, not run. If you run a downloaded executable file, it won't be saved anyplace and if you need it again, you'll have to download it again.

User-178362 19:18 18 Feb 06

How do I uninstall the existing version? I just went into Add/Remove, but it told me I had to uninstall it first. Could you please tell me how.

ade.h 19:54 18 Feb 06

One of three methods, typically.

1) Go into Add/Remove Programs. Select it. Click remove.

2) Go to All Programs and see if the entry for the program in question has a flyout menu. If it does, this will include an uninstall facility.

3) Go into the relevant folder in C:\Program Files and see if it has an uninstall executable in there.

Methods one and two are the most common. All programs - except certain specific elements of the OS, such as IE - are removable.

User-178362 20:58 18 Feb 06

I went into Add Remove again. I got the same message. This time I clicked on ignore and it worked. Then I clicked on Download, then on save. Does that mean I have done it? Thank you.

ade.h 21:20 18 Feb 06

No, that means that you have saved it. Now you need to double-click on the file to install it. Then I suggest that you create a folder somewhere for all such software downloads - AVG, etc. - so that you always have them available.

User-178362 22:11 18 Feb 06

Theres no easy answer is there. Could you please tell me where would I find these files and how do I go into making a folded?

User-178362 22:15 18 Feb 06

1 My Computer, 2 "C", 3 Program Files, Then I doubled clicked on MSN, Then I was unsure.

ade.h 23:07 18 Feb 06

What do mean by "there's no easy answer"?

This is straightforward and I've explained as clearly as possible.

What are you doing in Program Files?

I said "go to wherever you chose to save the download and double-click to run it".

I aslo pointed out that it's a good idea to have a folder for storing downloaded programs. I keep the original downloads of all my programs because you never know when you might want to re-install them or pass them on to someone else.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017