Desktop Icons slow to appear

Yimbo 17:22 06 Feb 08

After a fairly normal boot-up, I get to my desktop screen - but it then takes about 4 -5 minutes for the desktop icons and taskbar to appear. I've tried Sys res. but no difference. Any help would be appreciated - - thanks!

Yimbo 17:24 06 Feb 08

I should have said I use Windows XP home with SPs

Pineman100 17:32 06 Feb 08

Did this happen suddenly, or has the time gradually got longer and longer?

Have you recently installed any new antivirus software - or software of any kind?

How long since you last did a hard disk cleanup and defrag?

Have you got a lot of software running in the backgound? How many icons are there in your (expanded) System Tray?

VoG II 17:33 06 Feb 08

Try IconCache - 7th one down click here

Yimbo 21:34 06 Feb 08

a) Suddenly - about a week ago b) No - apart from "Software Distribution Service" on 22/01 and on 31/01. c) Sytem Mechanic does these things regularly. d)A fair bit - tho not sure what is or isn't running. There are seven icons in System Tray - but they've all been there for a long time. Just as I was writing this, I got a message "Windows has discovered a problem and has shut down to prevent damage to your computer -KERNAL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR" followed by what to to if this page appears again - which it hasn't, thus far! I'm thinking there's something badly wrong somewhere!! What do you make of it?

Pineman100 11:08 07 Feb 08

... but this latest problem is well beyond my limited knowledge.

An expert like VoG™ is much more likely to be able to help you, or you could see whether this is any help.

click here

birdface 11:46 07 Feb 08

Googled.Something to look at until someone can help.click here=

woodchip 11:49 07 Feb 08

Two things can do this AV running as first thing to check drive, or less likely Programs booting are too many at boot these need to be cut down

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009