Desktop icons refresh slowly.

wesparmalee 13:27 07 Aug 05

I have a problem with my desktop icons refreshing slowly whenever i open a folder,or do anything a simple as closing a web page.When this happens,the icons flash and then slowly refresh,and all the while the hard drive can be heard chugging away at the same time.I thought this may have been i virus,or spyware,but all checks have come up clean.I'm using Windows XP,any ideas?Thanks.

ACOLYTE 13:30 07 Aug 05

May be to many resources are bieng used at once and the desktop takes a while to refresh,adding more ram may help or closing down things that run in the background on the pc.

BurrWalnut 15:09 07 Aug 05

Not quite the same as your problem but if the computer hesitates while windows "refreshes" all of the Desktop Icons it is because the ShellIconCache file has reached it's limit of 500 entries.

To stop this run Regedit and open the key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer and Edit, New, String Value. Name it MaxCachedIcons and then right-click and Modify the value to 2000.

Backup the registry (Win98) or make a restore point (ME and XP) before making the changes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…