Desktop icons and progs all changed to the same ic

rathlogan 19:03 02 Jan 06

Help,ive booted my pc,and all the desktop icons are the same etc spybot adaware adobe,etc etc, when i try to connect to anything, the screen says windows cannot connect or open this type of file!!! also i can't open any programmes from the programmes menu,their icons have all changed as well.. im in a dilemma,cant acess the internet, any ideas would be much appreciated.
thanks Rathlogan.

csqwared 20:12 02 Jan 06

You don't say what OS you are using, if it's XP you could perhaps try doing a system restore to the last known good boot. If you are using Win98 try booting up in MS-DOS mode and at the prompt type regedit/restore and then go back to a known good boot.

cc

rathlogan 20:21 02 Jan 06

sorry im running xp home edition,

PaulB2005 20:22 02 Jan 06

Try System Restore.

VoG II 20:28 02 Jan 06

Repair file association for .lnk click here

Canot run programs click here

rathlogan 20:33 02 Jan 06

ok when we clic on anything in the menu or icon from the desktop the message that appears is ......

windows cannot open this file
then file:system restore ink

we are running windows xp home edition which normally runs perfect. have got AVG anti virus, use spybot and adaware, regulary.

ade.h 20:47 02 Jan 06

Clearing the icon cache and checking the paths of icon files (via the properties of each shortcut) may be sufficient.

Or use TweakUI to do it for you.

VoG II 20:59 02 Jan 06

Should be system restore.Lnk

Repair file association as above.

rathlogan 21:19 02 Jan 06

ok im actually online asking for help from another pc... we can't get the other broken pc to do anything...all the icons have changed,cant access any programmes from the programmes list..wont open any programmes inclinding system restore,with out saying windows cant open this file... so i guess i will not be able to transfer any of the file exe fixes from a portable device? could we have a virus,cant get into the bios even.just boots straieght into the disfuctional windows screen. not being pc experts...could this mean a reinstall?

many thanks for your answers .

VoG II 21:22 02 Jan 06

Try a repair click here

rathlogan 21:50 02 Jan 06

thanks vog: will try that,and see how we get on...will let the forum know... getting late now thanks for everyones help
rathlogan.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017