Desktop icons and .ink extension

bremner 19:44 18 Nov 04

A friends son has contacted me saying all his desktop shortcuts have lost their name and have been replaced by the a name ending with .ink

I know this is the link file extension relating to shortcuts.

He also gets no response when clicking on the start button.

The last thing he did before shutting down the machine yesterday was to run Adaware and delete the 'problems' that identified.

He is running a good spec machine with XP Pro.

I recall a while ago someone with a similar problem but I have been unable to locate that thread using the search box.

Can anyone please point me to that thread or if not have any thoughts as to how to resolve this problem.

Thanks

VoG II 19:47 18 Nov 04

System Restore?

I think it is Lnk not Ink.

bremner 20:07 18 Nov 04

He can't open 'Start' to get to the run command or the All Program entry.

Of course you are right about it being Lnk, obviously lost another bunch ofbrain cells today :o(

§ 20:09 18 Nov 04

bremner if SR doesn't work try reinstating the Ad-Aware deletions - should be in his quarantine list.

VoG II 20:11 18 Nov 04

I must learn to read before posting!

Restart, keep tapping the F8 key to bring up the boot menu. Select Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

Log on with an account that is a member of the administrators group.

At the command prompt, type

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

to launch System Restore.

bremner 20:40 18 Nov 04

Thanks will ring him now and try that.

bremner 17:38 19 Nov 04

Got into System restore as Vog suggested but all the restore points were gone.

Finished up using some recovery software to copy out the personal stuff and then restored the drive from a ghost back up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…