Desktop Icons have disappeared

Totally-braindead 19:22 12 Nov 07

Anyone seen this I was helping a friend out on the phone with his PC, he couldn't get a game to run. I told him to update his graphics driver for his FX5600 under XP. He did so and the game works fine now but after he tried the game and went back to his desktop he told me half his icons on the desktop(the shortcuts had vanished).
I thought perhaps he had inadvertantly activated the windows thing that cleans up unused icons to tidy the desktop but he insists he hadn't. Theres no sign of them and its a bit puzzling.
He created a new shortcut to one of the programs and that was fine but it said it was 2 which means the original icon is still there somewhere.
Anyone any idea where it went and why?

VoG II 19:23 12 Nov 07
  Totally-braindead 19:32 12 Nov 07

Thanks Vog but he says only about half of them have gone and some of them he uses regularly and some haven't be used for ages.
Can't understand why some of them would just vanish.

Diversion 19:48 12 Nov 07

I had the same problem when using CCleaner, it used to wipe half of my used items and the unused items folder too. I started using Window Washer and the problem disapeared, I don't think it will be related to the graphics card but I can't be certain.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…