Desktop Icons have changed.

johnpalmer 10:26 25 Aug 03

Over 30 of my desktop icons have been overlaid by another icon, which I think is a CD/Video icon.

I have tried system restore, which has made no difference.

All the icons still work the original programs.

Does anyone have a solution to this

jazzypop 12:20 25 Aug 03

One simple fix (that may or may not work, depending on the underlying cause of the problem) is to change your screen resolution, then revert back to your original resolution.

This forces Windows to rebuild the icon cache, and will often easily fix simple errors.

johnpalmer 08:58 26 Aug 03

Thanks for the suggestion, but it did not work for me.

Something I have discovered which may be significant, is that of all the desk top icons, there are two that don't let you change the icon in the properties section. One is the Nero CD Writer, and the other is Word 2000.

Perhaps these two are some how the culprits.

These faulty icons are only covering the originals which do appear on boot up, but are covered over after completion

temp003 09:36 26 Aug 03

There's no guarantee that this will work, but try deleting the icon cache (in case it's got corrupted). The cache will be re-created on reboot. Hopefully the fresh icon cache will work properly.

The file to delete is C:\WINDOWS\ShellIconCache

If you don't see it, click Tools, Folder Options, View tab, and select "Show all hidden files and folders". Click OK. Delete the file. You can leave it in the recycled bin for the time being to be safe.

Then restart the computer to see if it helps.

Steven135 09:55 26 Aug 03

I don't know what Windows you are running but you can download microsoft powertoys using the Tweak UI componant there is a facility to repair icons.

click here

johnpalmer 21:41 26 Aug 03

I have tried deleting the icon cache twice without any result. The problem is that all the icons are still there on boot up, but almost immediately they are covered over by the CD/Movie Icon. You can still see the edges of the original icons behind.

johnpalmer 21:43 26 Aug 03

I am using Windows ME, and I can't find any powertoys for this system on the Microsoft site.

Eastender 21:56 26 Aug 03

TeakUI for Me click here

Eastender 21:58 26 Aug 03

Sorry TweakUi, my last was the wooden version :o)

johnpalmer 11:14 30 Aug 03

I have now had to partially re-format my computer, which sadly meant I lost a lot of data.

However I did manage to 'backup' a lot of it, and the system seems to be OK now.

I am wondering whether the Windows XP upgrade evaluator I downloaded was the culprit. What a good ploy yo encourage you to upgrade.

WITHOUT PREDJUDICE

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…