Desktop icons going walkabout

davehyde 22:52 10 Mar 03

Using XP (though this happens on my 95 PC too)

I arrange the desktop icons how I like them, which could be by name, date, size, whatever. I add new icons. I get used to where they are.

Then suddenly........ They all move....

No obvious pattern to new positions (not alphabetical or anything) but WHY have they done it? And is there a way to stop this? Or save them how I like them to restore when it inevitably happens again...?

bloo meeny 22:54 10 Mar 03

Don't know why this happens, but I occasionally get this problem using Win98SE also.

User-312386 23:16 10 Mar 03

right click on desktop, select "arange icons by" and untick auto arrange

davehyde 23:25 10 Mar 03

is unticked...

The only tick is by "align to grid"....

:-(

Good evening davehyde, I cannot answer your query as to why this happens, but as a sufferer of the syndrome myself in the past, I now use one of either the following bits of software to restore my layouts. click here click here

The first one is I believe freeware, whilst the second is shareware, but will work indefinately in a limited function.

I hope this info helps. Regards, Mr. Mouse.

Djohn 23:32 10 Mar 03

Should also have a tick in, "Show Icons".

davehyde 23:36 10 Mar 03

that's ticked too!

Will try Mr Mouse's Remedy 2moro - too knackered 2nite, been in front of PCs all day and all evening zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…