Desktop Icons dissapeared from XP Home

Giggle n' Bits 22:55 08 Jul 06

I have had loads of spyware and stuff on my machine from the younger family member playing while I was away, and noticed also all WinXP Home Desktop Icons have dissapeared and the mouse will not right click.

I found a script editor to fix but too late it was a removal of Desktop icons so totally now made things worse.

So my plea as well as been Guilty is is there a script editor to repiar and put back my Desktop icons and any suggestions why the mouse will not right click on desktop space.

I do have access to the Desktop folders from a shortcut using the Taskbar but its a pain.

Seriuosly be greatfull if you can help.

VoG II 22:57 08 Jul 06
  rdave13 22:58 08 Jul 06

Try system restore.

Giggle n' Bits 00:28 09 Jul 06

but I am unable to right click on desktop due to right click not functioning on the mouse (PS/2 intelliMouse) & tried another mouse with no look.

Also tried all the suggestions within the the suggested link VoG Thank. I am currently running Avast cleaning out viruses & adaware dodgy stuff.

Also found that my AGP Radeon 9200 is giving no signal but the onboard VGA is something very strange happening. Looking at MSI site my motherboard the KM4AM (3734) Sok A, Audio, SATA running ATA100 HDD doesn't have anything which may suggesty a fix. Wonder with lack of mouse function, missing desktop icons etc is my board going wonky.

rdave13 00:37 09 Jul 06

If you think your mb is on the way out any chance of making some backups and trying a reformat.

Giggle n' Bits 00:45 09 Jul 06

Yes I havwe done a back-up. Other thing is this computer has a Pre-install of XP installed in FAT 32 and not NTFS. I have a worried feeling that if I do the factory reinstall it won't work.

The HDD is 120GB and I am lead to believe that FAT 32 is not correct but thats how this machine was built, wouldn't mind but its not actuall my machine. My family member has been playing as if it was a toy while was out and it was with problems then.

Would you think the System restore would put all right or totally crash the system ?

terryf 01:06 09 Jul 06

System restore should not crash the system, go back to a date before your little helper got at the machine and then you might consider password protection if you want to keep others out (for a while until they grow up!)

rdave13 01:12 09 Jul 06

Again I would go for system restore. If you have not upgraded anything like ram or graphics card etc., then restoring to "factory settings" should be no problem.

Giggle n' Bits 03:16 09 Jul 06

The System restore is not possible as the slider and system restore is turned of and set to 0 ! no restore points.

The Factory restore install of XP looks possibly but modem & AGP have been changed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac