Desktop Icons Delayed At Startup

PO79 15:50 19 Dec 07

When I start up or reboot, the desktop picture load, but the icons do not appear for two minutes.

Things I have tried

AVG Pro Full scan - Clean
Super Antisyware Full Scan - Clean
A2 Free Full Scan - Clean
Ad Aware Pro Full Scan - Clean
CCleaner Temp files and Registery cleaned

System Restore not an option as I lost all restore points prior to problem occurring

Not a seriuos problem but it's bugging me no end. Any ideas please.

muffin1947 16:03 19 Dec 07

I have a similar problem in that the icons appear but I have to wait ages for them to highlight and sometimes I even have to re-boot my computer and even then it does not always work.Wonder if the problems are connected.

rawprawn 16:58 19 Dec 07

click here download TweakUI, there is a facility to "Repair Icons"
It's worth a try

PO79 17:02 19 Dec 07

Thanks for that, I should have include it in my list of "Things I have tried" also I have tried increasing the iconcache setting in the registry, all to no avail.

Thanks anyway

brundle 18:01 19 Dec 07

If you have SP2 the icon cache is around 4000 anyway so no changes should be needed. Another `worth a try` step that may or may not work; IF your PC is stand-alone and not networked, go to Control Panel/Folder Options, click View, make sure `auto search for network folders and printers` is unticked. Also go to your Local Network Connection, right click, select Properties, untick File and Printer Sharing and Client for Microsoft Networks if either are installed and ticked. Reboot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…