Desktop Icons Changing by Themselves?

swanson2 10:40 25 Jun 05

Hi,
I am using Windows XP SP2.

I have recently noticed that some of the Icons on my Desktop (including Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Publisher and JASC Photo Album) have been replaced with a small white screen Icon with a narrow blue panel at the top.

If I right click the Icons and select properties the ability to change Icon is greyed out.

The same has happened to these programmes Taskbar Icons.

The programmes still work OK and no other Icons have changed.

I think (but am not certain) that the problem started after an automatic update to Adobe Acrobat Reader.

I have tried the Icon rebuilding utility in Tweak UI to no avail!

Any suggestions/comments would be welcome.

Gongoozler 11:26 25 Jun 05

Tweak UI is notorious for having unpredictable effects. Try deleting (or safer just renaming) IconCache.db and letting Windows rebuild it. IconCache.db is usually in C:/Documents and Settings/Username/Local Settings/Application Data), but if it isn't, a search should find it.

swanson2 19:57 25 Jun 05

Thanks for that Gongoozler.

I will give it a try.

swanson2 20:23 28 Jun 05

Hi,

I renamed the file IconCache.db but it made no difference to my desktop icons.

I finally resorted to System Restore which has made everything OK again but I would still like to know what caused the problem!

patkinson 08:05 16 Jan 06

This has only just happened after doing some virus and widows updating. Only some of the desktop icons are affected e.g. Nokia PC Suite, Itunes & Roxio Easy Media Creator. One other icon is sometimes there and then its not. It's as if a limit has just been reached.

I used restore as well and the icons came back. But after a while having to repeat updating, the problems returned.

I notice that the proper icons are there in the Program Files folder, but not on the Desktop.

How do I get the correct icons back on the Desktop?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…