desktop icons-can't use only one

brucio 17:28 23 Apr 05

I've just got a Dell 3000, with XP installed for my son.
We don't know anything about XP, and for some reason, when I click on a desktop icon, they ALL turn blue. If I click again, the computer thinks I'm trying to start all the programs!
Clicking on an icon turns off the one below it, but I can't start just ONE program from the desktop.
I can't find this problem in the 126 similar problems brought up by searching for it.
Can anyone help, please?

QuickHare 17:35 23 Apr 05

You've just brought the computer? If so, I'd take it back for an exchange. I'd say it was a device driver fault, or just a general complaint caused by something that would be very hard to track down. It might even be a motherboard problem, or a faulty keyboard/mouse. It'd be quicker to take it back in my opinion.

Pooke100 17:39 23 Apr 05

Was it like that from day one?

Use system restore to go back to when it was fine. Go to programs, then accessories, then system tools and choose system restore and follow the prompts.

brucio 18:17 24 Apr 05

Many thanks to Quickhare and Pooke 100 for your (very fast) replies to my problem.
The icons are behaving properly now.
No, I don't know how they've suddenly put themselves right- which means if they go wrong again, I won't know what to do!
Once again, many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…