desktop icons

carver 17:21 22 Feb 03

This is only a small problem but annoying,my daugther, by accident dragged a program from the start-up menu onto the desktop. She then tried to drag it back before I saw what she had done, but she only managed to drag another one onto the screen.The point is how do you get them back?.
Iv'e got Win Me running, can anyone please help before I have to buy another monitor for all the icons.

hamelin 17:45 22 Feb 03

Click:- "Start-Settings-Taskbar and Start Menu" select the "Advanced" tab then use the "Add" button to start the dialog, browse to the desktop, select the icon file, place it into start-programes by following the dialog.

hamelin 17:47 22 Feb 03

Oh, and once you have checked to see that you can find the icon on the start programes taskbar, it should then be safe to delete the icon from the desktop by right clicking and selecting delete.

Pesala 20:09 22 Feb 03

Might be an idea to disable drag and drop. Go to start menu properties (right-click on task bar), advanced tab, and uncheck "Enable drag and drop." This won't stop your daughter dragging items off the start menu onto the desktop, but it will prevent her moving them to other menus.

You can drag the shortcut back onto the start menu, at least you can in Windows ME. You just have to wait a second for the start menu to popup.

carver 20:39 22 Feb 03

hamelin
Been there,done that and its worked, great, apart from when I now go onto Accessories which is one of the programs she dragged it doesn't show any Sub-folders unless I double click it then they all come up in a separate box,hope this makes sense.

hamelin 02:04 23 Feb 03

do the same as before but place the shortcuts in the accessories subfolder that was origionaly on the start taskbar.

carver 14:03 23 Feb 03

hamelin
I don't want to appear short of a few braincells but HOW?.I can now go to start,programs and then to accesories, but then I have no dropdown menu to get to the files or subfolders unless I double click.As I said earlier the other programs are back to where they should be, but these were all single files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…