desktop icon removal

warton 11:20 22 Jan 04

In Win98SE how do I totally remove unwanted icons from desktop. Deleting to recycle bin removes icon from desktop but when deleting from recycle bin, icon appears back on desktop. Please help!

Taff36 11:26 22 Jan 04

Try selecting the icon - hold the shift key and then hit the delete button - This should skip even sending them to the recycle bin. Works in windows explorer too but be sure because it is a permanent delete!

warton 12:11 22 Jan 04

Thanks for response but it has not worked. Following your sugestion temporarily removed the icons. Checking the recycle bin to ensure icon had not just been dumped in there, which it had not, on closing recycle bin icons were again on desktop.

Taff36 12:14 22 Jan 04

Something wrong here - which icons are you trying to remove completely?

Border View 12:14 22 Jan 04

I opened a new folder on my desktop and named it unwanted icons. I then right click on the unwanted icon click on cut then right click the new folder and click on paste. The icons are removed from your desktop but if you need them at any time are in the "unwanted icon" folder. Tidied up the desktop.

Gemma 12:26 22 Jan 04

The shortcuts are stored in c/windows/shortcuts.
You can delete them there. In the Recycle bin use File/Empty. If they come back then some process is putting them back into the shortcut folder.
Do you have anything that calls itself "active desktop" or "enhanced desktop". If you do, try turning it off....

tiberius 16:09 06 Feb 04

Cannot remove two shortcuts - "Health Insurance" and "Credit Counselling". Don't know what they are or how they arrived. Any hope?

Stuartli 17:54 06 Feb 04

Try running Search and Destroy 1.2 and AdAware6 and also do an anti-virus scan just to be sure.

Sound like spybots or a virus etc

tiberius 14:12 10 Feb 04

Thank you but icons always come back.

Megatyte 14:34 10 Feb 04

Did you do as Stuartli suggested(Spybot)?

You can get it from here...

click here

AH

tiberius 17:47 11 Feb 04

Thank you both very much. Adware seems to have done the trick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…