Desktop Hijacked

Al94 12:32 07 Jan 05

Any advice please on this - I was asked to look at a new PC yesterday that had been used on the net for 2 months without any anti virus protection. The owner thought it was built into XP (Home edition - no SP2 at this stage) Did all the usual, put on AVG7, Adaware, Spybot, Spywareblaster and A2, you can imagine how much they found!!

The PC is left with one apparent problem, the desktop has been taken over by a black screen with a link to a website Smart Security that has a warning about the PC being in danger and cny links clicked are showing a virus through AVG. Right clicking on the screen shows that desktop properties cannot be accessed.

Any suggestions? All the loaded spyware and antivirus are coming up clean now.

JoeC 12:45 07 Jan 05

2nd post from bottom.

click here

Mat2 12:47 07 Jan 05

Hi Al94

Have a look here this may help you click here

Al94 13:20 07 Jan 05

Thanks guys, will try that.

keith-236785 15:19 07 Jan 05

just one thing i want to say, PLEASE do NOT turn off system restore until you have solved this problem, when i was hijacked system restore was the only way i could sort it out.

true, things do lurk in system restore but it can also be a life saver. if you need to you can remove the infected restore point without turning off system restore, i will gladly explain that process if needed.

once you are happy with your system and are sure it is stable, that is the time to turn off system restore and turn on again to remove ALL restore points......but only when you are sure.

lots of people advise turning it off but you need to sort the problem first.

click here and download the 30day trial of Anti-Trojan Shield, install and do a full scan on all hard drives/partitions. report back with the results.

good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…