Desktop HDD problem

GBL 19:35 15 Oct 13
Answered

A friend has got a free standing HDD which has died, is there any way to recover the contents of it? I wondered whether it is possible to remove the discs and put them into a known working one. I don't know the problem but it has been checked over by a Pro and is not working. There are about 8 years of photo's on it.

woodchip 19:52 15 Oct 13

He may be able to fit it in a spare bay if he as a Desktop, he could then check the drive for errors. my guess is he as been pulling the usb, instead of doing safe removal, this corrupts the drive contents when its writing to the drive when he pulls it

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:15 15 Oct 13

More info needed

could be case faulty if so HDD can be fitted into another case or direct to another PC to regain files.

drive failed mechanically or electrically then very costly to recover data.

drive corrupted then a chance of free recovery software can extract files.

GBL 20:18 15 Oct 13

Thanks, I think it is the drive that has failed mechanically or electrically, but not sure will try to find out.

Mr Mistoffelees 20:24 15 Oct 13

If, as you suspect, the drive is knackered, professional recovery is the only option and an expensive one at that.

bumpkin 20:49 15 Oct 13

Have a look at jimforrest post just a few lines below yours, you may get some ideas there but if it is not even spinning up then no chance.

woodchip 21:44 15 Oct 13

If you could get a drive just like the one that as gone you could change the Electronic controller board to get the old one working

GBL 11:17 16 Oct 13
Answer

It is difficult to answer as it is a friends HDD and I have not had the chance to try it, but he informs me that it is working but not showing anything on it. I will have to get over to him and have a look.

I know he uses a laptop with Apple system, so perhaps mine on Windows may be different.

Thanks for the input it will be a few days before I get to see it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…