Desktop has reset,/ Restore Points will not work

Allan RISC OS user 19:51 12 Mar 09

Whilst playing Mahjong on my PC the screen twice went black but was restored if the mouse button was pressed, then a little later on there was a very loud "bong" and the game was lost and the screen went black again,then the screen returned but the Task Bar was twice as deep as it had been previously and the icons on the right hand of the task bar were now stacked in 4 columns by 3 deep and the time took up 3 lines, the quick start icons were all rearranged and the open programme icons were now on what appears to be a lower task bar. I am not able to get it back to the bottom as it was before, I can make it deeper or make it disappear.

As I was not able to reset the task bar as I required it I tried to do a system restore but each date which is highlighted
and should be a valid point will not work. It seems I have lost all my restore information. I do not want to re-instal
XP SP 3 if I can avoid it, any ideas please?

HP Pavilion
AMDPC Athlon 3200, 2GB
RAM 1GB
Windows XP sp3

tullie 20:11 12 Mar 09

Have you scanned for nasties and what with?

Allan RISC OS user 18:55 13 Mar 09

Hi Tullie

I have virus tested with AVG, found some adware and cookies but no virus, and Spydot did not fine anything!.

Any idea how I can get around the re-setting of the task bar back to how it was, I have tried but without any success.

Allan

BRYNIT 20:12 13 Mar 09

Move mouse pointer over task bar right click and make sure lock the taskbar is not ticked.
Move pointer to top of taskbar until you see the pointer change to two arrows hold left mouse button and drag taskbar down. Right click on taskbar and put tick against lock the taskbar.

Allan RISC OS user 20:39 13 Mar 09

Hi Brynit

Have tried that and again now, but it does not work I can move the top of bar up to make it larger but not down to get it back to the single task bar.

Any other help would be appreciated.

Regards
Allan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac