desktop has gone mad after install modem/router

pookie 12:35 05 May 06

at home i had a desktop which is on broadband (cable along floor) tiscali 2Mb with uncapped. i also use a laptop for work which has wireless card built in but at home i had installed tisacli on it and switch the actual usb line from desktop to laptop depending on which I was using for internet access. at work the laptop is only wireless.

i got a d-link 54 modem/router. desktop is cabled to modem and laptop is wireless.

I followed all the instructions and all worked really well. However last night my desktop was messed up. on boot and reboot it can connect to internet but will not let you type in anything - if you open a program it opens multiple copies eg regseeker opened 60+ times. mouse movement and the opening of programmes is accelerated it seems 100 times. Just moving the mouse opens programs. Firewall is on secure settings on pc and firewall in enabled on router. adaware picked up some bits but no virus was been detetced and all patches etc are up to date. it seems too much of a coincidence for this not to be new router/modem relalted. i can't get into msconfig to see what is starting up.

would it matter that I started up the laptop first while the desktop was off. Also I was using both laptop and desktop next to each other – would that matter

help!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don’t fancy a reformat.

P

mgmcc 13:29 05 May 06

<<< i can't get into msconfig to see what is starting up. >>>

You should be able to. Hold down the "Windows" key and press "R" to open the Run box, type MSCONFIG and press Enter.

As connecting to a router shouldn't involve the installation of any software - it's a network device that you connect to - the new Modem/Router shouldn't be the source of the problems.

Have you tried booting the "Last Known Good Configuration" or running System Restore?

pookie 17:05 05 May 06

many thanks - no, i haven't tried a rstore but i will do when i get home. i'm just concerned in case i've done something stupid

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…