desktop gone!

maxirv 18:50 15 Mar 05

after trying to follow microsofts inatructions for solvin a fatal exception error (Microsoft Windows 98 fatal exception 06 has occurred at 0000:0000f020)"
SYMPTOMS
During Microsoft Windows 98 or Windows 98 Second Edition Setup, you may receive the following error message:
A fatal exception 06 has occurred at XXXX>: XXXXXXXX>.
CAUSE
This behavior can occur if an earlier version of McAfee's VirusScan (anti- virus software) or Norton AntiVirus is being loaded from the Autoexec.bat file.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, disable McAfee VirusScan or Norton AntiVirus. To do so, follow these steps: 1. Restart your computer, press and hold down the CTRL key until the Windows 98 Startup menu appears, and then choose Command Prompt Only.
2. At the command prompt, type edit c:\autoexec.bat, and then press ENTER.
3. Type rem, and then a space at the beginning of the line that contains Vshield.exe.

If you are using Norton AntiVirus, type rem and then a space at the beginning of the line added by Norton AntiVirus.
4. Save and then close the Autoexec.bat file.
5. Restart your computer. Setup should continue. "
I now have no desktop atall. My wallpaper is there! but nothing else. I admit to being an amateur where all this is concerned, but it sounded straight-forward enough. Where have I gone wrong?

Technotiger 19:01 15 Mar 05

Hi, try this - right-click on desktop then go to
Arrange Icons By, then see if Show Desktop Icons is ticked, if not, then tick. Let us know if you can do this.

Cheers.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:03 15 Mar 05

Win98 restore
Boot with a win98floppy start disc click here, download the file to hard disc then put clean floppy in drive double click download to create 98 boot disc

start with disc at A:\> type SCANREG /RESTORE press enter from list choose old date to restore before your problem started.

maxirv 19:23 15 Mar 05

no joy. right-click shows nothing atall

maxirv 19:25 15 Mar 05

im communicating from my lap-top. has no floppy drive, & wont write it to cd

Technotiger 19:26 15 Mar 05

OK, follow Fruit Bat /\0/\ 's suggestion, he is much better at 'this' than I am anyway.

Cheers.

talia 19:28 15 Mar 05

Boot to a command prompt and type in:
scanreg/ restore the space is important and restore the registry back to before trouble started.

To get to the prompt hold down the F5 key on start up.

Technotiger 19:32 15 Mar 05

Me again - a. have you got your Win98 CD?
b. Can you get into BIOS on your pc? (Try to Start and during Start hold down Del key - this should bring up the BIOS Main Menu, does it?)

Let us know.

maxirv 19:42 15 Mar 05

i did that, now it say
windows registry checker
usage: scanreg[<option>]
<option>
?:displays usage
backup:backup the registry and related configuration files
restore:choose a backup to restore
fix:repair the registry
comment"<comment>":adds the specified comment to the CAB file while backing up

this will teach me to fiddle with things I don't properly understand.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…