Desktop dissappeared (+ all thats on it)

I used my computer and all was fine, logged off and booted up again 2 hours later. The computer struggled and eventually booted into a default desktop. I then logged into another user name to investigate and found that the original desktop folder was empty. Unfortunately I was in the habit of saving things onto the desktop, which should all have been in this folder (3gb of music and pictures) The computer seems to work OK now but searching for the lost files brings no results.
Any help appreciated.

VoG II 08:59 07 May 06

System Restore?

Mr Mistoffelees 09:01 07 May 06

Time for that periodic reminder, to always back-up your data to an external storage medium, so you don't lose everything when it all goes wrong.

You're right to say that but I didn't say that I hadn't backed it up. (well all of the important files). I,ve since been in to disk management and found an entry at the time of the problem that reports a bad block on the hard drive. I'm not sure but that could be the answer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…