Desktop corruption by spyware

crgb 20:37 01 Dec 04

My desktop has been corrupted by a blank off-white screen which is sandwiched between my background picture and the shortcut icons. Possibly caused by my removing some spyware incompletely. Help please.

alan227 20:39 01 Dec 04

can we have a few more details , what operating system, what spyware were you removing and what spyware program were you using.

crgb 22:43 01 Dec 04

Windows XP, can't remember the name of the files I deleted. Use Ad-aware SE and Spybot normally but got impatient and just deleted some stuff instead. Presumably I didn't delete everything I should have.

VoG II 22:48 01 Dec 04

First you need to enter the BIOS. This normally means pressing a key, or combination of keys, immediately after switch-on. A message to this effect usually flashes up on the screen when you switch on, such as "To enter setup press Del". Other common BIOS codes are listed at click here.

When the BIOS screen appears you will see a set of menu options. Look for one labelled Boot or Startup and select the item Boot Order, or First Boot; this will be set to HD0, HD1 or the serial number of your hard disk drive.

Change the setting to read CD, CD-Rom or the serial number of your CD/DVD-Rom drive, Save the Change and Exit the BIOS. Open the CD-Rom drive, insert your XP disk and restart your computer.

You will now see a screen message saying "Press any key to boot from CD", press the spacebar and a message appears informing you that "Set-up is inspecting your hardware configuration". This will be replaced by a blue screen, press Enter and you should see a "Welcome to Setup" menu, press Esc to continue; important, do not press R for Repair as this will start the Recovery Console.

The Windows Licence Agreement will now be displayed. Press F8 to signify acceptance and the next screen will list your operating system (usually just Windows XP). Select it and proceed to the next screen, which will have the option "To Repair the Selected Windows installation press R". Hit the R key and the installation begins.

Windows Set-up will now go through what looks like a normal installation routine so be ready to respond to the prompts. When Set-up has finished, after a couple of restarts you should see your original desktop with all your shortcuts applications and programs.

You will need to go to the Windows Update site to get all of the critical patches.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…