Desktop Clutter

Taupe 20:40 17 Jan 06

I am afraid that when I now go to START/All Programs the screen fills to overflowing.

What I wish to do is collate like programs under appropriate headings rather in the manner of the existing 'Accessories' group so that all are visible on screen.

Can you please instruct me on this

taupe

Skyver 20:43 17 Jan 06

Open the start menu, double click on a folder and it should open in an Explorer window, now you can create new folders with appropriate names and move things around. If a start menu folder or 3 is missing in the Explorer window go back to the Start Menu, double a missing folder and it will open another Explorer window pointing to a different Start Menu folder, some programs install in the user's own Start Menu folder and some in the owner/administrator Start Menu folder.

Stuartli 20:44 17 Jan 06

If you left click on a Program in the list you can drag it up and down to wherever you wish.

Or you can right click and select Sort By Name, which will provide an alphabetical order listing.

It's often worth Deleting some entries that are duplicated elsewhere, such as Firefox, Thunderbird, Outlook Express, Internet Explorer etc.

Skills 20:45 17 Jan 06

Are you using XP?

If so find your way to c:docs and settings\all users\start menu then the programs folder from in there you can create new folders and drag and drop the shourtcuts into folders as you wish

VoG II 20:45 17 Jan 06

Right click the Start button, select 'Explore all users'. You can now create your 'groups' by right clicking > New > Folder and give them whatever names you like. Then click on the other programs and drag and drop them into the appropriate group.

Taupe 21:43 17 Jan 06

YEs folk, you have cracked it for me.

Marvellous - and such fast response.

A real help. Very thankful

taupe

(I did not get back as quickly because I E 6 has a glitch which throws me out, but Firefox works fine)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…