Desktop cleanup/Tidy

ACOLYTE 10:44 30 Oct 05

My desktop is getting a bit full,i have ran the cleanup wizard but find i need to keep nearly all the shortcuts,is there a program that will allow me to put them in different categories with tabs for each so i can click a tab to get to what i want from the desktop.I did think about making folders and putting them in them but that means i have to click open the folder then click the shortcut i need,and it doesn't work all the time as the path from the shortcut to the program have changed,and it still means i have 12 folders instead of lots of shortcuts.I would just like Tabs,down the side of the desktop for easy access.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:08 30 Oct 05

Probably not what you wnt but nearest I can find

Is one desktop not enough for you? Microsoft’s Virtual Desktop Manager allows you to have 4 virtual desktops. With this utility, you can have programs relative to different projects you are working on open in separate virtual desktops.

Microsoft's Virtual Desktop Manger (3rd from bottom of page):
click here

Virtuawin is an additional virtual desktop program:
click here

woofwoofbark 11:15 30 Oct 05

why not add folders to your desktop ... a folder for spyware and one for antivirus , basicly a folder for each catagory

just an idea

all the best

geo

ACOLYTE 11:18 30 Oct 05

Yeah,lol one desktop is enough i just wanted more simplicity in the accsess of programs,the virtual
desktop sounds good but would this just add more clutter to what i already have?.

VoG II 11:20 30 Oct 05

What about click here

ACOLYTE 12:13 30 Oct 05

I tried adding folders but the shortcuts wouldnt work then,i think because the path from them to the program had altered,it always said it couldnt find the target file,the other option looks good,its like making shortcuts of shortcuts? its not just folders it programs as well would this idea work for those too?

VoG II 12:16 30 Oct 05

I think it should work for programs - you've nothing to lose by trying.

ACOLYTE 12:16 30 Oct 05

Just to add i have found some desktop themes that add TAB buttons to the desktop,along with weather/clocks and the like they look nice but always come wrapped in spyware.

ACOLYTE 12:30 30 Oct 05

Ok i have made a tool bar and it seems to be working,but i have a question,the toolbar only show whats on my desktop,and i wanted to delete all the short cuts from the desktop,if i did this now would they also disapear from the toolbar?

ACOLYTE 12:57 30 Oct 05

Just tried this with 1 shortcut and it does disapear from the tool bar as well,the idea is good but i still have to leave the shortcuts on the desktop for it to work,and i wonted to delete them off there.

plsndrs3 15:44 30 Oct 05

Why not have the shortcuts all located in their own folder [one for each gendre - anti spyware, games, etc] per beemerman. the folder could then have shortcuts to the individual programs?

As you need only a couple of folders on the desktop this tidies that up & the shortcuts could be moved into the folder whilst still on the desktop by clicking once on the icon, holding it down then releasing when hovering over the folder. Paths, etc will then not change.

A bit like the Win 3.1 :o)

HTH

Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…