desktop background is white and cant be changed

Theory5 20:59 21 Aug 07

hi, my desktop background is white and cant be changed, i have tried everyway. im running the windows file protection thing so I will see if that helps . but I think its a virus or some peice of software becuase when im shutting down the computer it gets to the stage where all the programs are shut down u can see my old background, please help

VoG II 21:01 21 Aug 07

Version of Windows would help.

Theory5 21:12 21 Aug 07

oh sorry Windows XP service pack 2

Al94 21:23 21 Aug 07

right click on your desktop, properties, desktop, customise desktop - then click on web tab, what is shown there? It should only show My Current Homepage with the box unchecked. Delete anything else.

Al94 21:27 21 Aug 07

Also download abd run a squared free edition click here

Theory5 22:09 21 Aug 07

It only shows my currrent home page with the box unchecked. and it didnt help i will see if the anti maleware software works

Theory5 22:09 21 Aug 07

It only shows my currrent home page with the box unchecked. and it didnt help i will see if the anti maleware software works

Stuartli 22:12 21 Aug 07

Try varying the colour from Desktop>Properties>Apperance tab>Effects and Advanced buttons.

woodchip 22:15 21 Aug 07

You could try this, as It may be other software etc that's doing it. Go to Start\Run type msconfig press enter go to startup tab write down all things with a tick you can remove tick and try the comp after reboot, If it does not go to windows, Start in safe mode by pressing F8 or F5 as computer is starting and put the tick back

Earthsea 22:30 21 Aug 07

You could try SuperAntiSpyware. Update and run it and afterwards go to Preferences>Repairs tab and click on Perform Repair. I think this works with the free version (it says 'limited' on the site but don't know what that means).

SuperAntiSpyware click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5