desktop background

dustbin 21:23 06 Mar 04

what do I have to do so that my desktop icons do not have little boxes of colour around the obscuring my background picture?

bloo meeny 21:28 06 Mar 04
  christmascracker 21:43 06 Mar 04

What OS?

dustbin 22:01 06 Mar 04

Win 98 se. sorry bloo meeny that didn't work .

bloo meeny 22:22 06 Mar 04

Win98SE here as well - works perfectly but note "TransText v1.20 will not run if you have the Active Desktop enabled"

Belatucadrus 22:22 06 Mar 04
  GaT7 01:01 07 Mar 04

If no joy wiht Belatucadrus' suggestion try these:

1. This works perfectly: TransDesktop click here - free 30-day trial (£11-12 to keep).

2. Transparent (freeware) - sorry can't find the website, but can send you the program (zip file only 55Kb) via e-mail - just let me know if you're OK to accept this.

NOTE: To achieve icon text 'transparency' on a WinXP desktop: Go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Performance settings and enable 'Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop'.

Stuartli 09:34 07 Mar 04

Right click on the Desktop, select Properties, then go to the Appearance tab.

You will see a button titled Effects, select and disable Show Shadows Under Menus.

GaT7 15:31 08 Mar 04

Managed to find the 'Transparent' download I mentioned above - click here . It's called 'Transparent Icons' on this site.

Another alternative is Transparentis - click here costs £3.00-3.50 to buy. There doesn't seem to be any trial.

Stuartli, you may be referring to WinXP? It doesn't work on Win98 - dustbin's OS.

Dustbin, did any of our suggestions help? (If you're sorted you may want to put a check in the resolved box.)

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 15:34 08 Mar 04

set the background color the same as the desktop
match it in more colors.

Regards.

GaT7 15:44 08 Mar 04

but one needs to do it MANUALLY for (practically) every wallpaper/background &/or whenever you switch from one to another - not very convenient : (

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac