//some 3rd party need geo

Desktop awaiting engineer

rins36 23:43 04 Jun 04

My desktop came up with various messages 2 weeks ago, I tried to start in safe mode etc but failed, got the recovery cd's from HP & this also failed to rectify the pc

Is it possible to get any data off the pc before the engineer comes as there are pictures etc that i did not save to cd but would like to keep...yes lesson learnt re back up on a regular basis

also

How long should a laptop battery be charged to use without the mains......my laptop is used via the mains during surfing etc, then when i go to bed i leave it on charge, but have to use the mains nxt time i e-mail or surf the nxt day

THE TERMINATOR 23:53 04 Jun 04

Does your pc still boot up, and what os?

Doesn't it tell you in your hand book how long to charge your laptop? TT

ste_bla 00:12 05 Jun 04

You should never leave batteries charging every night like that esp when it should be charging the battery while your surfing

Dont know about yours but my acer:

2hr40min on battery for low usage eg browsing
1hr30min to charge while off but connected to mains
2hr30min to charge while is in use

Ofcourse these are rough estimates and as it gets older it will take longer to charge or stay charged for a lesser amount of time

hope this helps

Djohn 00:23 05 Jun 04

click here should answer all your questions on your laptop battery. j.

rins36 20:58 05 Jun 04

THE TERMINATOR

Do u mean does the desktop still boot up? Yes it does & using winxp home edition

rins

woodchip 21:08 05 Jun 04

Laptop batteries should not be left on charge for long periods of time as you can degrade the batter fast

computernerdiamnot 21:26 05 Jun 04

If you are going to be using the laptop from the mains more than on batt take batt of when charged. If you dont use batt then put batt in say once a month use till finished recharge then take of.

woodchip 21:29 05 Jun 04

A new battery will last about two years if it looked after i.e. charged as instructions

THE TERMINATOR 23:31 07 Jun 04

Have you tried repairing windows from the XP disk? Put it in your cd-rom drive and boot up to cd-rom and repair windows from the disk. TT

rins36 23:53 11 Jun 04

THE TERMINATOR

Dont have a XP disc with the desktop, tried using recovery cd's, the engineer called on Monday & out in new hard drive & memory still no joy......thinks it could be the motherboard & took the pc to the workshop, has put a note on re not formatting the hardrive to save the pics

computernerdiamnot

use the laptop more on the mains than battery, will use battery on hols more if i need to use the laptop

rins36 01:33 29 Jun 04

I got the desktop pc back last friday & the cpu had been replaced. Not set the desktop pc up yet as been busy but hope it works as it should

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…