Desk Top HD Problem

GBL 10:45 10 Apr 10

I have a Maxtor Onetouch4 HD which I used on my old PC running Win XP pro and file system NTFS. Periodically it would run Ckdisk but no problem. I now use it on my new PC using Win7, twice during the last few weeks I have been unable to access some files on it and have had to put it back on the old PC so it runs chdisk to sort it out.
I don't want to keep doing this, what could be the cause of the problem in the first place. I think that I will have to leave it on the old PC and access files from there.I don't want to risk losing the files.
Couild it be a problem with Win7?

northumbria61 21:49 10 Apr 10

It could be a compatibilty problem with Windows 7 - take a look here - you may need a driver update.

click here

rdave13 21:52 10 Apr 10

Possibly signs of a tired hard drive. Not a problem with the OS

GBL 22:12 10 Apr 10

I would have thought if it was tired then it would not be rectified once it is back on XP pro.

I think I have decided to splash out and get another external HDD to use on Win7. Was looking at Novatech.

rdave13 22:23 10 Apr 10

Hard Drives can fail in a second or slowly die a death. You are getting warnings so I think your decision to buy a new Hard Drive is the safest one.

GBL 22:26 10 Apr 10

Thanks for that, I will get another and transfer some files over.

Take care.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…