Desk Top Background

Ancient Learner 16:13 01 Sep 05

This used to be so easy. That is, putting my own photo as the the background. I used to just open the Display in the control panel, and follow through the Background Tab and find the photo, and that did it.

No Longer. I cannot even find the Tab. I find that there is only one tab now, 'Theme' and although I can browse with that, my files are, of course, not 'theme' files, therefore I cannot use them.

I do now have an ATI Control Centre to look at, which is perhaps in place of the Windows Tabs, but I don't seem to be able to get anywhere with it. Can anyone help please.

pj123 16:21 01 Sep 05

As far as I can remember the picture needs to be a .bmp and saved in C:\Windows. It should then show up in Display Properties. Right click your Desktop and go to Properties.

Ancient Learner 16:58 01 Sep 05

Thanks for your comments.

I don't seem to be having any luck though! The check in the registry provide npthing as there was no entries at - - - system.

The gpedit.msc works, except that I don't know what to change when I get into it. And, although I can easly browse to the photo within 'My Pictures', right clicking does not seeem to show an option to 'set as desktop background'.

Clearly I am doing something wrong, but what?

Ancient Learner 17:28 01 Sep 05

Re using explorer. I have now managed it! In fact you use the left hand side where, after you high light a file, appears a 'set as Desktop Background' under 'Picture tasks'. This works wondrously well.

Thank you. I cannot imagine why I can't do what I used to do. Interestingly, my new LapTop has the same problem! No matter. With Windows if they manage to close one door, there is usually another one to open, if you can find it!

Ancient Learner 19:36 01 Sep 05

System restore had no effect.

The registry really has nothing in it. The 'system' name is Default, the type is Reg-SZ and the data is (Value not set) - nothing like what the suggested corrections seem to say, and they are a bit scary for someone like me who doesn't understand a whole list of entries when I can't see the like on my PC.

Ancient Learner 19:38 01 Sep 05

Thank you again for your helpful comments.

Ancient Learner 15:33 02 Sep 05

I'm sorry. I don't follow what you mean by "all they require is a double click".

The lines you mention give a whole series of entries that are not in my registry. I had assumed that what I had to do was 'copy' and 'paste' all the entries to my registry to replace what is there and add what is not there. Perhaps I'm wrong, double clicking something never crossed my mind in this circumstance.

I was proposing to 'copy & Paste' the first line stuff to the two places mentioned.

Ancient Learner 16:06 02 Sep 05

Oh Dear! I do feel awfully thick. Download? Again I assume 'copy and paste'! Having done that, will I have to double click each file? And are the two lots of files different, and therefore each lot has to be double clicked, (They look remarkably similar to my untrained eye)

I'm sorry to be so slow, but this registry business scares me, and I want to be quite clear in my mind of what I have to do and what to expect, before I start.

Ancient Learner 16:48 02 Sep 05

I am still muddled re this 'download'. There appears to be nowhere I can click to actually 'download'. If I right click the 'white on black' name of the file on the first page I get a 'quick download' option, but that.although it appears to get it to my PC, doesn't produce anything to double click, however I do get a message asking if I want to 'open'and doing that gets the question about adding to the registry, and the affirmative gets the job done.

So I have done that, but not by any double clicking - - very confusing.

Has it made any difference, no, but I'll try rebooting and see if that does the trick.

I shall be back!

Ancient Learner 17:13 02 Sep 05

It all started up,again, but the desk top has changed, I suspect to the standard XP colours. I had changed them earlier to 'maple'

However, there is no difference to the 'Display' button, which still only shows 'Themes', instead of the normal; Themes, Desktop, Screen Saver,Appearance, Settings. A bit of a disappointing anticlimax really!

Incidently, my Laptop is quite normal I find, I was wrong to say that it was the same as my PC.

Ancient Learner 17:27 02 Sep 05

I did check that the registry had changed, and it had.

Thanks for you help and interest, anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…