design logo software

drdeath 16:34 24 Feb 04

hello, are there any free to use logo design websites out there? i need a business logo, but have been quoted in excess of £100!!!!!

i have tried the xara trial version logog design software and found it limited... any suggestions?? thank you

Taran 18:32 24 Feb 04

A logo is all well and good but keep in mind that once it's done ou can be stuck with it. Some of the best logos in the world are extremely simple and subtle.

I'd suggest that you think long and hard about what you might like. Many very successful businesses thrive with a simple text line naming their business. Adding a drop shadow to your business name with a nice background can work wonders.

Also keep in mind that graphics should be very carefully prepared since a graphic logo should really be part of your overall branding. This means it has to feature on all of your business stationary - letterheads, cards, compliment slips and so on. Graphics printing is a whole new world and it can get quite complicated to get good results. The more detailed your graphic and depending on which colour cheme you choose you could end up by needing a program that can output a bit more than your bog standard bitmap or jpeg.

You could do worse than start simple with just the business name, perhaps give it a drop shadow and border.

Regarding software, any of the mainstream image editors will do the job. I like and use Ulead PhotoImpact, Jasc Paint Shop Pro, Macromedia Fireworks and Adobe PhotoShop in about that order. For serious print design work I lean very strongly towards Quark and Adobe InDesign, but they are overkill for most users.

It isn't the software you use, it's normally how you use it and a good idea from the outset, properly implemented, works wonders. A bad idea from the outset usually only gets worse as you try to get it working for you.

My own 'logo' is simply text presented in a certain way. No fancy graphics or banners for me, and I can't say my business has suffered in any noticeable way because of it.

All the software titles I mention above have 30 day trials available for download and you often find them on magazine cover CDs.

phil 19:42 24 Feb 04

You can also use this website and make your own online. It also gives you hours of fun trying different styles.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…