deregistering xp

alan 2273 18:57 21 May 03

On my old computer I had 98se and an XP home upgrade. The old computer was stripped down after the motherboard gave up the ghost, the hard drive that was in it was formatted and sold.
My cousin wants the xp upgrade for his machine but I have been on the microsoft site and cannot find how to cancel the registration so my coisin can put it on his computer and register it for himself.

Djohn 19:11 21 May 03

Give Microsoft customer services a phone call on, 0870 60 10 100, they will tell you what is required. J.

alan 2273 19:26 21 May 03

Thanks Djohn but I have allready tried that number and was re-directed to a toll free number in the states which was just for registering microsoft products so I am Still no further on .

barrie_g 19:38 21 May 03

Get your cousin to install it then when it asks to register opt to do it by phone and then you can explain then.

Microsoft only keep the registration on file for (I think 180 days not sure but I'm sure someone else will give a more definite answer) so if you last registered it more than 3 month ago there should be no problems anyway.

hugh-265156 19:41 21 May 03

There is no "deactivation" process for Windows XP. If you want to move your Windows XP installation to a different PC, use these steps:

Remove Windows XP from its current hardware. You can remove Windows XP by using the "uninstall" routine; if you previously upgraded from another OS and you elected to save uninstall information at the time. You can also format the hard drive, and install an other Operating System.
Install Windows XP on the other system.
If 120-days have passed since you previously activated Windows XP, you should be able to use the automatic "on-line" activation method.
If the activation fails, you will be prompted to call the Windows Activation center. A telephone number will be displayed on your screen. All you have to tell the activation center is that you removed Windows XP from one PC, and installed it on another PC. You will be asked for the 50-digit activation key. No other information is needed. If you are asked if you want to provide your details for registration, you can choose to decline. Registration is optional, and not required for activation.
The operator at the activation center will give you a 42-digit key, which you type in to activate your new XP installation.
Note: This procedure will be allowed on retail copies of Windows XP. If you have an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) version of Windows XP, this procedure will be disallowed in most cases. According to Microsoft, an OEM version of Windows XP is linked to the specific hardware it was sold on. Some OEM vendors have exceptions to this rule; you have to check with your OEM.

alan 2273 19:48 21 May 03

Thanks barrie_g & huggyg71, I will pass this information onto my cousin with the xp upgrade

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…