Deny access to which progs?

MickinPlymouthUK 12:27 18 Aug 06

I recently installed ZoneAlarm firewall and am occasionally getting warning messages asking whether I want to grant access to progs or whatever that are trying to get in.
I click "yes" to ones that sound genuine, usually if they sound like they're associated with my server AOL, but some others I'm not sure about and I deny access. For example something called "WebEnhancer" keeps trying to get in but I keep slamming the door in its face because I don't know what it is.Am I doing right?
Shutting out progs seems to have no detrimental effects to my PC's operation (I think), so for future reference can I ask the forum to give me some rule-of-thumb advice to knowing which progs to allow in and which to deny?
I'm Win 98SE, PC-illiterate..

Confab 12:50 18 Aug 06

It really depends on what software you have installed on your PC. The easiest thing to do is when ZoneAlarm pops up with a message saying ABC.exe is trying to access the internet then do a Google search on ABC.exe to find out which program it relates to.

Confab

Confab 12:52 18 Aug 06

Also make sure that the incoming alert is turned off as this just generates warnings about "normal" internet traffic. I'm at the office at the mo so can't remember how to do this but I'm sure someone will advise you.

Confab

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…