Dell's Xp Home vs Clean install

Jut got myself a Dell 5150 which comes with Xp Home pre installed.

I'm wondering if the install of Xp that comes with the PC is reasonably "clean" or should I be thinking about reinstalling my own copy. I've had a poke around & to be honest there doesnt seem to be too much rubish installed.

My own copy is registered with Microsoft through my old pile of junk but am I right in thinking it only takes a phone call to sort that out? (I will of course be deleting it from my old PC).

Thanks for any advice.

keewaa 16:58 25 Nov 05

It is very clean, just go to add remove programs to remove any junk you don't want. It also has a restore partition which make reinstallation (in case of a virus) very easy (Ctrl + F11 i think during boot) and restores it back to when you took it out of the box. This is very useful if it gets infected.

I'd leave it the way it is.

Diodorus Siculus 16:59 25 Nov 05

The version on dell should be ok; just be sure to have a back up.

As for the other version you have, you can likely reactivate it as long as it is not OEM. If it is OEM, it dies with the machine, I believe.

ACOLYTE 17:01 25 Nov 05

There maybe things that came pre-installed that u didnt have before,but you should have the disc for those may even be 1 disc with the lot,you could possably remove apps you didnt need,but as its a new pc i would wait a while,it should have sp2 installed but if it hasnt i would consider installing this,you could install all the usuall stuff to keep the pc happy and crap free.

Cheers chaps

Many Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…