Dell XPS Generation 3 Start up Issue

Jay1001 12:59 21 Apr 12

Hello, I would appreciate any advice that can be given.

I have a Dell XPS Gen 3 Pentium 4, had it for years its a gaming computer. I bought 2 new 1GB RAM for it and made sure these are correct for the system and they are. I also got a new graphics card, the Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5.

I put the card and the RAM in with no trouble what so ever.

I went to start up the computer and it said Drive 4 is missing basically. (sorry I cannot remember the term exactly.) I then pressed F2 to get to the set up. With advice from my partners father I went to Maintenance and went to Load Defaults. This removed the error messages and it loaded to just after the XP loading screen and then stayed on a black screen. I have re started and attempted to load in safe mode but it just comes up with the drive list (the list it makes before it starts) and it just stays there. It does not load out of it.

I had left it for some time but nothing. I also tried to start up with the old graphics card back in the system but nothing.

Please can anyone advise me, I cannot find the Windows start up disk and I dont want to take my computer to a shop and get charged a bomb to fix it.

Thank you

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:04 21 Apr 12

With the old graphics card in

Try last known good configuration from the list

KRONOS the First 15:29 21 Apr 12

Should you get another error message,please make a note of its exact wording, makes it a little easier to advise. How long after installing new RAM and graphics card did you start to have problems? What was your od graphics card? Was it te same type AMD or NVIDIA if not did you remove old drivers and install the latest downloaded from AMD or NVIDIA?

Jay1001 17:56 21 Apr 12

@Fruit Bat I have tried and nothing

@Chronus It happened almost instantly and the old card was a ATI Radeon not sure of the model no. It came with the machine

KRONOS the First 18:24 21 Apr 12

Your old GPU,It will have the number on it. So it's not booting at all now,is this correct. I would remove the ram and replace it with your old stuff. Make sure that everything is seated correctly,in particular the RAM. But check all cables and connections.

What is the make and model of your PC? How long have you had it? What does it say on the POST screen? it should mention how much RAM is installed and what hard-drive etc whether mouse and keyboard is present.

Jay1001 18:32 21 Apr 12

@Fruit Bat I have tried and nothing

@Chronus It happened almost instantly and the old card was a ATI Radeon not sure of the model no. It came with the machine

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:53 21 Apr 12

Put the old graphics card back in

Tap F8 as it boots

select last Known good configuration from the menu.

KRONOS the First 18:58 21 Apr 12

Why did you post exactly the same message twice,but at different times?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now