Dell XPS 420 HDD addition... help required

beec crump 12:19 21 Apr 08

Hi all,
I am looking to install a third hard drive into my Dell XPS 420 and am wondering whether I have the correct sockets and power cables to be able to do this. This is my first SATA computer, and first without Molex power connectors, so I am looking for some advice/clarification. I have found a suitable place to fit a third drive but am unsure about the connectors.

The two existing hard drives use blue cables to connect to the motherboard, and the two DVD drives use orange cables to connect to identical sockets but separately from the ones the hard drives use. The image linked below will explain better.

click here

I am basically wondering if the third connector next to the orange cables will work for a HDD. I am guessing these are the slower speed of SATA than the other two? And is it backwards compatible? How slow will a HDD run if it is connected to this socket?

My next question is power. There are no more connectors identical to the ones already in use for the existing HDDs, but there is an identical cable with different coloured wires. The two, P5 (existing HDDs) and P14 (spare) are in the second image.

click here

The only difference is the supposition of the yellow wire for a white wire. According to the computer’s handbook, both the yellow and the white carry +12VA DC and all the other wires are identical in colour and voltage. I am simply wondering if they are the same connector with the same voltages, why do the colours change? And more importantly, will it work?

Thirdly, I am assuming there is no master/slave issues with SATA seeing as there is only one drive per socket?

Thanks for any help,

Ben

Ditch999 16:54 21 Apr 08

Just because there is a socket does not necessarily mean it is active. You would need to check the manual to see how many SATA devices can be connected. The spare socket (if active) would be able to run a SATA HDD in conjunction with that spare SATA power connector. It depends which version of SATA your motherboard supports, 1.5 or 3 which dictates the theoretical speed of the devices. There are no master/slave issues with SATA.

Ditch999 16:56 21 Apr 08

BTW. Please dont upload photos of this size - 2592 x 1944 and expect people to look at them! 1024 x 768 is plenty and that programme scaled them to 800 x 600 anyway so you achieved nothing.

ronalddonald 17:27 21 Apr 08

Hi all does anyone know, if dell computers are using xp on their desktops and laptops

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:46 21 Apr 08

Start your own thread don't hijack someone else's

Dell usually ship with Vista now / phone and ask if you want something else.

beec crump
check for a spare SATA socket on the board if non then you can fit a PCI -SATA controller card.
you should beable to obtain a "power splitter" lead click here

Quiller. 17:48 21 Apr 08

'I am basically wondering if the third connector next to the orange cables will work for a HDD. I am guessing these are the slower speed of SATA than the other two? And is it backwards compatible? How slow will a HDD run if it is connected to this socket?'

Number 6 on here? click here the hard drive will run at full speed.

'Thirdly, I am assuming there is no master/slave issues with SATA seeing as there is only one drive per socket?'

All SATA drives are master.

As to the power problem. You can buy adapters that fit into the normal 4 pin molex sockets.

MCE2K5 19:28 21 Apr 08

According to click here

Via This,

Connect the hard drives to the connectors labeled "SATA0" and "SATA1", starting with SATA0. Connect CD/DVD drives to the connectors labeled "SATA2","SATA3", or "SATA4", starting with "SATA2".

Serial ATA hard drives and CD/DVD drives are connected to the connectors labeled "SATA0" to "SATA4" on the system board.

& NOTE: It is recommended that you connect the hard drive to the connector labeled SATA0 on the system board. Connect additional hard drives to connectors labeled SATA1 and SATA2. Connect the CD/DVD drives to connectors adjacent to where the hard drive is connected.

One can assume that 3 SATA Hard Drives can be placed on sata0 Boot Drive Plus 2 more on sata1 & sata2. Move the DVD's to sata 3 & sata4.

Then as 'quiller' said, Last line on this Mon, [email protected]:48 Post.

beec crump 03:18 22 Apr 08

Thanks, I'll move the DVD drives to SATA 3 and 4 and use 2 for the third drive. Didn't know you could just adapt a Molex to power a SATA drive so that solves that problem.

Thanks for all the help,
Ben

monicakm 05:00 10 Mar 09

and thanks to this link, I know where to attach the blue cable from my Seagate Barracuda SATA hdd to the mobo. But, I think I need to make some changes to the BIOS. After I put the Seagate drive on SATA 1 and moved the CD/DVD drives to SATA 2 and 3, the computer wasn't too happy about it. The new hdd and one of the DVD drives don't show in "My Computer". What other changes do I need to make? Thank you,
Monica

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…