Dell / XP won't boot even in safe mode

matt-few 15:39 20 Jan 07

A friend has asked me to fix her machine, bought from Dell in September. Machine has XP Home with SP2 and gets as far as the blue XP Welcome screen. Afterwards the Welcome text is replaced by a small Windows XP logo, but will not go any further.

In safe mode it's still the same. I have offered to fix it, but only if won't invalidate Dell's warranty. Dell have told her I can back up the files, but they have insisted for the warranty to remain valid, they must talk her through using the restoring with their system CD.

Is this new as I have never bought a Dell machine?

Any ideas what it could be. Dell think it could be a second hard drive. Can I Ghost the boot drive image onto an external hard drive?

Fingees 16:05 20 Jan 07

Its the norm for most PC's under warranty.
Thats why they supply a CD to restore to original state.

It protects them from damage caused by people opening the machine.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:57 20 Jan 07

If you have an XP disk do a repair, using her licese number on the sticker on the laptop.

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

matt-few 17:33 20 Jan 07

Thanks Fruit Bat

I have XP Pro SP2 but her machine runs XP Home SP2, so I guess it won't work?

Is there any way I can ghost or copy the hard drive onto an external hard drive?

matt-few 17:39 20 Jan 07

Fingees

"Its the norm for most PC's under warranty.
Thats why they supply a CD to restore to original state.

It protects them from damage caused by people opening the machine"

I've had six machines to date, and non have barred me from reloading OS or going inside the case. If they did, they wouldn't get my order in the first place. Machines include Packard Bell, Gateway, Toshiba Laptop, and three Evesham machines. I've never bought from Dell before and definitely won't now if that's their attitude. Now Macs have Intel Xeon chips, I'm thinking this will be my next machine - as I run a videography and photo business.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:39 20 Jan 07

Is there any way I can ghost or copy the hard drive onto an external hard drive?

If it will not boot then no.
Unless you remove the drive and fit to another PC to copy.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:40 20 Jan 07

connect to another PC as slave.

Fingees 18:56 20 Jan 07

matt-few

I've had six machines to date, and non have barred me from reloading OS or going inside the case. If they did, they wouldn't get my order in the first place.

I agree with you, but more are now restricting access to prevent so called amateurs from tampering.

I normally build my own.

Last time I bought a Dell, many years ago, they didn't worry about opening the case, but of course didn't service anything I added.

But I understand they don't allow access now without forfeiting the warranty.

Of course I could be wrong.

matt-few 08:51 21 Jan 07

If someone did do a full system restore, or wiped the hard drive with software like Boot and Nuke, how would the company know?

I'm not going to in this case, nor open the case (even though there is no seal /sticker on the back and side panel).

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:03 21 Jan 07

'I've had six machines to date, and non have barred me from reloading OS or going inside the case.'...there are very good reasons for this and you would know them if you have ever dealt with the general public.

G

Andsome 09:12 21 Jan 07

If it's under warranty, it's the manufacturers responsibility. Personally I would never buy from any of the big companies. Can't beat a local builder, close to home.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple