Dell XP will not start

Kingfisher 18:16 23 Mar 10

A friend has just phoned me to say she has swithed her pc on and is presented with screen saying press f2 for setup or f12 for boot order menu. sounds like a catastrophic failure. She cannot access safe mode she says she has not got the dell reinstallation disks and have asked her to look for Dell label with product key. Before I go round there, would my Dell slpstreamed reinstallation disk be able to carry out a repair install,Not a clean install. Providing she can find the product key.
Or is their anyway I can access a command prompt and type in the command for restore, any help would be appreciated. os is win xp home

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:31 23 Mar 10

would my Dell slpstreamed reinstallation disk

only if same machine needing same drivers as yours.

Press f12 select Hard disk and attempt to boot what error message comes up?

Kingfisher 18:33 23 Mar 10

Thanks for quick response Fruit Bat /\0/\ will report back when I can get hold of her

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:46 23 Mar 10

Laptop or desktop?

If laptop try removing and refitting the hard drive to remake the connections if desktop check all cables to drives and at motherboard are fully connected.

Kingfisher 14:21 24 Mar 10

Hi Fruit/\0/\ it is a desktop, she is vague about f12 she says only option is hard drive diagnosticsand when she presses that option she gets "no device drivers found" gonna have to go round, but not local will post back when I can, thanks for your advice

Kingfisher 14:23 24 Mar 10

sorry should have spelt Fruit/\0/\Bat properly am in a hurry

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:02 24 Mar 10

Also try

Unplug ALL USB devices especially external hard drives, pen drives and printers.
Make sure there is no floppy disk (if older machine) or CD/VD in any of the drives.

Kingfisher 18:28 24 Mar 10

Thanks Fruit Bat/\0/\ will get her to try it

woodchip 18:41 24 Mar 10

Sounds like the drive is corrupt or bust Try fitting a new Data Cable

Kingfisher 18:46 24 Mar 10

thanks woodchip will try all the suggestions when I can get round there,will post back

Kingfisher 15:25 28 Mar 10

Hello eveyone, ref above am going round there tomorrow. Question: If I can find the licence key on side of case, which will be registered to her because she has had pc from new. Can I download a replacement o/s download from Microsoft from the internet.or will I have to contact Dell, and does it make any difference that it is win xp media centre edition.
ps she cant find any of original disks/ drivers
thanks again, sorry if question sounds a bit daft. Also will try all suggestions above before I resort to new installation

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…