Dell won't tell me how to reinstall Win XP Home!

xpablob 15:36 05 Jul 04

Forgive my ignorance about this.

I need to fully reinstall Win XP Home on a Dell Dimension 2400 machine using the Dell reinstallation CD and have been trying to follow the instructions given in the Dell Owner's Manual. It turns out that crucial information is missing from the manual and when I telephoned Dell this morning they said they would not tell me unless I paid them £40! I am unemployed at the moment so cannot afford this and I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do next. If anyone can help I would be most grateful.

I think once I find out how to do it I will put up a website explaining the details so others don't have to pay Dell.

Thanks

spikeychris 15:44 05 Jul 04

Think they might have beaten you to it click here

Old Shep 15:45 05 Jul 04

Why do you want to re-install xp home. Have you a problem which can be sorted out without this action? Are you talking about reformatting your hard drive and re-installing a Dell system cd.

TomJerry 15:53 05 Jul 04

How you did it? What "crucial information" you do not have?

If you follow dell's instruction pointed out by spikeychris, it do not think you need any information.

xpablob 16:11 05 Jul 04

Thanks to everybody trying to help. Here is what I have done so far: 1) Rebooted with the maroon CD from Dell called 'Reinstallation CD' 2) Pressed ENTER on the 'Windows XP Setup' screen. 3) Pressed ESC to intall a fresh copy of Win XP Home. The manual now says "Press <Enter> to select the highlighted partition (recommended), and then follow the instructions on the screen". Here is where I get stuck. The partition highlighted is '-: Partition1 [FAT] 47MB (40MB free)' but there is another 'C: Partition2 [NTFS] 76238MB (68371MB free)' and I presume I need to highlight this. The Dell man on the telephone then said something about deleting partitions and formatting and so on, and that this was not in the manual and I could only learn about it if I telephoned.

spikeychris 16:19 05 Jul 04

Without reading the link I sent you the first partition [1] holds the CAB you need to run the installation. DO NOT DELETE THIS. What problems are you having?

TBH1 16:20 05 Jul 04

just select the highlighted one , the 47mb one - - -this should just reinstall your OS without touching the stuff on the other partition. This is presuming you do not want to re-format.

johnsims 16:27 05 Jul 04

Try to solve the problem without a renistall if you can. Post details of the problem here and I'm sure lots of people will try to help you out.

xpablob 16:31 05 Jul 04

Apologies to all helpers if I am not making myself clear enough - I know very little about what I am doing, just what I have picked up from websites and this forum.

Basically I am trying to return the machine to the state it was in when I first received it and I think therefore I probably do need to re-format as part of that, so as to get rid of any trojans, viruses etc. that may have corrupted the registry. I think how to return the machine to its original state would be a useful thing for an amateur like me to know in case I break things again in the future (although I have no idea where the malware has come from). Spikeychris - thanks for the link. I could not seem to find reinstallation tips for my machine though.

christmascracker 17:22 05 Jul 04
  xpablob 17:36 05 Jul 04

christmas cracker - good on you, this looks very promising. Why the bloke at Dell didn't tell me about this I don't know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…