Dell wont start at all...4 beeps

B.J. 16:39 13 Jan 09

I have a Dell Dimension 3100 about 2 years old, had no trouble at all then put PC into a DRY storage container for about 18 months (moving house lived in a caravan) just fetched all the stuff....but PC wont start, it beeps 4 long then a space and then 2 more beeps,it stays connected (you can hear the power supply fan running but nothing goes to the screen. I can't understand why on the 3rd or 4th attempt it started as normal and I thought it was fixed but now when I try it.....no good at all. Anybody got any ideas ?
B.J.

Jim_F 17:00 13 Jan 09

In general computers have a number of connectors all of which can get corroded or work loose so good practice would be to inspect and reseat all connectors.

Another possibility is the bios (do a reset) or the CMOS battery - to check this go into the CMOS - if it thinks your computers a TARDIS (ie 10 years out of date) chances are this is dead.

If this doesn't help Dell themselves do an on-line diagnostic: click here

Good Luck,

Jim

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:41 13 Jan 09

Beep codes
click here

DEpends on type of BIOS.

First remove and refit memory sticks and retry

B.J. 21:34 13 Jan 09

Thanks for the help folks,it was a loose memory card....although I thought I'd checked it ! Back to normal...Thanks again. B.J.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…