Dell Win 7 all 64 bit ?

setecio 09:12 19 Oct 09

I had a look on Dell's site and it seems to be ALL windows7 64 bit.

Does this mean that virtually all new hardware that you buy these days has 64 bit drivers ?

I guess it also means that you HAVE to buy new hardware as well as there will be little chance of older hardware having 64 bit drivers ?

howard64 09:29 19 Oct 09

I have been using xp 64bit for some time now and nearly all the old stuff works just fine so I would not expect any problems with 7 64bit.

setecio 10:53 19 Oct 09

and when you say all the old stuff works fine .... are the drivers for your stuff built into win7 ?

setecio 10:55 19 Oct 09

also, the advice used to be install the driver before you plug in USB. With windows 7 will it do any harm to plug in the USB ... if it has the driver built in , no problem, but if it doesn't, will plugging it in cause a problem or have MS got around that issue ?

howard64 11:18 19 Oct 09

not a clue with 7 as yet I would just plug in and try you should not be able to do any harm by doing so. I found with 64 bit xp that if something would not work directly I just had to set it up using the compatability wizard. 7 should have a much better wizard than my old xp.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…