DELL W1700 MONITOR

bobbyboy69 19:59 30 Oct 06

Hi

Hope someone out there can help me with a problem.

I have a dell pc with a Dell W1700 tv/monitor which I have had for just over 2 years now.

My kids were playing a game one day, when the game crashed and we had to reboot the pc by switching it off from the base. When it was turned on I had no display at all on the monitor, but i could here the sound of windows loading up.

Well anyway cut a long story short, I cannot get the monitor to work on any pc, however the TV part of the monitor works without any problems.

I have used different leads as well, but still the monitor refuses to display anything at all.

If there is anyone out there, who can help, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

PS Also been on Dell's forum, and i was told to break up the monitor for spare parts and sell them on ebay. ( No way cos the monitor cost me around £500.00)

GEEKSTA 21:21 30 Oct 06

if the pc crashed how can it affect the monitor?
have you tried using another monitor to check if that works? maby its not the monitor maby its the chip that makes the screen light up?(not to sure on what its called)?? have a look with onther monitor if you can.

De Marcus™ 21:24 30 Oct 06

The pc crashed whilst playing a game, logic suggests that the graphics card drivers should be investigated as they may have become corrupt.

Will the machine start in safe mode?

bobbyboy69 08:26 31 Oct 06

The pc works with another monitor, be it a CRT or LCD, but the monitor does not work on any pc as I have tried it on 3 pcs.

And the monitor also does not work in safe mode either.

De Marcus™ 09:20 31 Oct 06

It's a strange one is this, the LCD works, in every other way apart from when connected to your pc (which you've confirmed is working with other monitors).

I can't help feeling there's nothing wrong with the LCD but the crash has had an obvious effect somewhere along the line, have you investigated refresh rates? Some monitors won't fire up if the desired refresh rate or resolution isn't selected, have you checked the settings on the LCD, presumably it has an on screen menu (being a tv as well).

bobbyboy69 10:30 31 Oct 06

Hi De Marcus

No I havent investigated refresh rates, I dont know how to do that.

I have checked all the settings on the LCD but cant seem to get it working.

De Marcus™ 10:44 31 Oct 06

This monitor has xp specific drivers which may help.

Plug one of the working monitors into the pc, go to click here and download the driver, follow these instructions:

1. Save the file to your hard drive

2. Double-click the icon to run R66841.exe and extract the driver files

3. View the Readme.txt file included in this package for installation instructions

Restart the machine with the different the working monitor attached still to check all is ok, restart and plug your 'broken one' in.

The driver should set the refresh rate and resolution to the desired level for the monitor.

On another note, xp shouldn't need a driver for your monitor, but I can only assume that the problem is refresh rate or resolution related, so this should hopefully rule those problems out, if it does, it's time to contact Dell for advice.

bobbyboy69 10:48 31 Oct 06

thanks De Marcus

I am at work right now, so I will try it when i get home tonight.

Thanks for your help, and I shall inform you here if it has worked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac