Dell upgrade

Newby 17:01 18 Apr 05

I have a Precision 1400, 4 years old, which I have added a 2nd. hard drive and a dvd r/rw, memory expanded to 384mb. The motherboard has a 933Hz CPU and will support no more than 512mb memory. The CPU speed is the fastest this board will support.
I would like to upgfade/buy to give me a much faster processor, Preferably P4 - but I have had good reports on others (AMD?)- Win XP pro, TFT monitor. I am currently loaded with Win Me.
What's the bast route. I looked at the thread earlier - Dell upgrades -and, although they look good, they are providing extra equipment I niether want nor need, i.e. a printer, keyboard, mouse. Anyone got any ideas. I like Dell but am prepared to try others. My first computer was a Simply, and I was happy with that then.

dth 17:38 18 Apr 05

P4 or AMD 64 bit - sorry there is no clear answer on that one. It is AMD for me - as I think you get more for your money - but it is a difficult choice to make.

On your P/C the choices that I can see are:-

1) build yourself a new p/c and just swop over the bits from your current p/c that are still useable

2) bit the bullet and buy a new p/c (without the extras)

Newby 12:20 08 May 05

dth, - and anyone else,
My Dell is actually a Precision 4100 - not, as I said, a 1400.
I am still interested in upgrading the MoBo but Dell don't seem to have any info on their upgrade site.I do not know if the MoBo I have is wired to industry standards. I need to know so that I can determine whether I need new main and auxilliary power supply connections. Details of the MoBo are as follows:-
Board: Intel Corporation D815EEA AAA10383-403
Serial Number: PR02336V124610C40ABY
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Intel Corp. A06 11/28/2000
Can anyone help? Even Dell? I don't suppose they look at these threads!! -but you never know!
Cheers,
Newby

Joe R 12:36 08 May 05

Newby,

As you have stated, the system you run is four years old, and, I don't think the PSU, would be up to running the power hungry systems of today.

I feel your best bet would be to start from scratch, and have a new system. click here

Have many upgrade systems, with a wide range of prices.

Joe R 12:38 08 May 05

click here

This is also a first class site, if you are unsure about self-build.

Diodorus Siculus 12:47 08 May 05

Dell use non standard motherboard / PSU combinations in their home user PCs so it will not be possible for you to do an easy upgrade.

Take a look at one of the companies that do partial builds, such as the Novatech bare bones systems or jal.co.uk - you can then cannibalise the pc you have and mix&match bits into the new one.

Newby 12:55 08 May 05

Joe R, Thank you very much for your information. I have placed the web sites in my favourites so I can view them at my leasure. They both look pretty good to me. Very grateful.
Newby.

Newby 12:58 08 May 05

Diodorus Siculus,
Thank you for your info. I'll put Novatech andjal.co.uk in my favourites. Looks like I'm going to have a lot to look at! Thank you very much.
Newby.

never 12:59 08 May 05

Newby, Dell PCs since about 1998 usually have hybrid motherboard & psu's. the pin config on the molex connections are different, so if you upgrade the motherboard you may well need to change the psu also.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…