Dell Recall

denali 14:43 15 Oct 04

I have just seen this on the Pitstop site.
Anyone know if can, or will, affect us over here

Dell Computer and the US Consumer Product Safety Commission
have announced a recall of nearly one million AC power adapters
that have been reported to overheat and could cause fires or
injuries. Dozens of models of Dell Inspiron, Latitude, and
Precision notebooks sold between September 1998 and February
2002 are potentially affected. If you have a Dell notebook
you should check if your power adapter needs replacing:

rawprawn 15:23 15 Oct 04

I wouldn't think it will affect Dell UK computers, we have a different electrical system here to the one used in the USA.If you are worried you could contact Dell UK support.

Diemmess 15:42 15 Oct 04

Because the American type socket and plug looks more like a razor job than the true British pattern, it almost certainly means a lapse of Quality Control in some far Eastern contractor's outfit.

The True Brit version is in fact made just down the road from there and current batches are presumed blameless!

Magik ®© 15:55 15 Oct 04

to be on the safe side i have a bucket of water next to the Dell laptop..... :-)

denali 16:11 15 Oct 04

Thank you folks! I think I will go with Magik ®© option, i.e. close at hand bucket of water.

Diodorus Siculus 16:17 15 Oct 04

The European Dells are made in Ireland; don't know about the adaptors though...

Dorsai 17:38 15 Oct 04

Plus of course, the USA uses a 110v mains, while we run at 240V, so a USA Adaptor will not be the same as a UK one.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:46 15 Oct 04

A bucket of water and an electrical adapter?

Do I call an Ambulance or the Fire Brigade?

Dorsai 17:52 15 Oct 04

Both,

The Fire brigade to put the fire out (using co2 or powder, as water not sutable for electrical fires), and an ambulance to resusitate whoever, after the throwing of water over an electrical fire. Zap.

Magik ®© 19:01 15 Oct 04

the plan has been agreed with all the family, who ever is on the PC at the first sign of smoke, or the sight of sparks,the rubber gloves will be put on and the water will be thrown over the said PC,,,the meeting place for the family, for a head count, will be on the patio, then we can look through the window and watch.....

JonnyTub 19:06 15 Oct 04

I didn't think there was any difference between us and uk psu's, i always thought they were (for the best part) mass produced and the slider switch on the back used to switch between 110 and 240 v. The usa psu's have the same connection on back, just a different plug.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…