Dell PSU Failure?

concise 10:23 22 Jun 10

Dell XPS210, Vista.6 months out of service contract!
Power on button when pressed: "Green" if O.K. and P.C. fires up. Steady amber - "a device may be malfunctionining". Flashing amber - "internal power problem may exist."
I have the flashing amber. The P.C. will often come on after a random number of attempts, hence I am able to send this, sometimes I give up.
Usually I get a millisecond of 'whirr' a glimpse of the green LED on the DVD tray then nothing, no lights, no fans, no nothin' except flashing amber.

I am assuming this will be a Power Supply failure but any thoughts gratefully received.
Cheers

onthelimit 10:31 22 Jun 10

Sounds a bit like, but not dear click here

concise 10:45 22 Jun 10

Thanks for ultra quick response!
I'll do a bit more delving and almost certainly go for it.
Thanks again.

concise 08:25 01 Jul 10

For no apparent reason P.C. started working ok again. Am wondering if due to the heatwave at the time it was suffering from heat exhaustion!
Cheers

onthelimit 08:42 01 Jul 10

...may be worth taking the panels off and giving the heat sinks and PSU a blow-out with compressed air. Odd that it happened at start up, though - would normally expect a heat problem to show up after a while.

concise 08:44 01 Jul 10

Will do.

sherwoodsolns 18:18 01 Jul 10

also along with the clean up of the fan and heatsink - let your laptop batteries fully drain and recharge a couple of times - battery memory may also cause the warning lights you mention. It is not likely to be AC adaptor causing issues - you can check by putting a multimeter to the output and check DC voltage (16-19volts usually - see base of adaptor for correct output). Try also booting without the battery in place - if all is fine - again may be battery "memory" issues.

with the laptop working again - go into BIOS and check the CPU temperature limit - it may be too low for the "hot" weather and this is prematurely shutting down the machine when it gets too hot.

concise 23:25 01 Jul 10

sherwoodsolns hi,
XPS210 is a desktop albeit a thin one! I believe it was Dell's smallest unit possibly still is. Perhaps I should have said "internal" power supply originally. I understand from other sources the PSU in this model is near the limit.
The narrow case packs things a bit which probably doesn't help. It also makes upgrading difficult as few if any graphics cards fit.
Thanks for input, I'll check the BIOS as suggested.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…